While being outside to garden or exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle for most people, it can wreak havoc on your skin. Prolonged exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet, or UV, rays can lead to sunburns and brown spots, and it increases the risk of skin cancer. Fortunately, if you do develop brown spots on your face, neck or chest, you can use a sun brightener to fade them.
How Skin Brighteners Work?
There are many products that claim to lighten or fade brown spots that appear on your skin due to sun exposure, but dark spots can also appear due to inflammation of the skin. Many women who have problems with acne will develop dark spots or blemishes. Many of the skin brighteners out on the market not only help fade brown spots due to UV ray exposure, but they also help fight hyperpigmentation of the skin caused by acne, as well as naturally occurring age spots.
Hyperpigmentation is a harmless skin condition in which patches of the skin can become darker than the rest of your skin. Along with targeting darker spots, skin brighteners can help lighten a dull complexion that results from sun exposure, stress, lack of sleep and consuming caffeinated drinks that can dehydrate your skin. Skin brightening products have been used for centuries in countries like Japan, China, and India, and in many African countries.
Ingredients in Skin Brighteners
Skin brightening serums use a host of ingredients to help fade dark spots and brighten skin tones. Some of these ingredients are extracted from plants, while others are chemical formulas. Some of the most common ingredients in skin brighteners include:
- Hydroquinone – This is considered one of the best ingredients for helping brighten skin tones and fading dark spots. It works by preventing melanin production, which can lead to dark spots, blemishes and age spots. It is a chemical formula and there are concerns about its use in some products.
- Vitamin C – This vitamin is included in many skin brighteners and can be derived from plants. It is used because it is an antioxidant, which helps to fight against skin-damaging free radicals.
- Niacinamide – This ingredient is more commonly known as vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid. It is used for its antioxidant properties and because it helps restore skin’s elasticity.
- Licorice Extract – This plant extract helps by providing anti-inflammatory properties and inhibiting melanin production. It contains antioxidants as well.
- Hyaluronic acid – One of the ingredients in skin serums that helps to keep the skin hydrated, which helps maintain its plump, youthful appearance.
Other natural ingredients in some skin brighteners include oats, gingko biloba and spergularia. By using products with these ingredients, you will love this intensive whitening serum for helping your skin look brighter and giving it a youthful glow.
If you make a skin brightening serum a part of your daily routine, it is important to protect your skin from too much exposure to UV rays. Use a sunscreen or stop tanning if you want to prevent dark spots on your skin.